• Login:

Welcome to the XBMC HUB FORUMS.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

UPDATE YOUR SPORTSDEVIL ADDON!

Thread: Chromecast

Thanks

Chromecast

Anyone know anything about the new Google dongle called the Chromecast. Looks cheap, looks interesting. The geniuses need to look and see if it "XBMCable". Only available in the US at the minute.

Just had a look on amazon.com and read the following:

What it Is:
    It's a HDMI dongle that is powered by Chrome OS that is designed for Streaming.

How it Works:
    You have to connect to the same Wi-Fi network for it to work. Once it's setup you'll see the Chromecast logo and a basic Home Screen with some of the first apps available for Chromecast. A lot of development is going into it, so expect to see more apps from the Google Play store work with your TV. See your phone/tablet/computer more of a remote, rather than an actual streaming device.

I only tested on the iOS side (I don't have a Droid) and I can tell you that it works very well. It is NOT like Apple's AirPlay where your screen is mirrored, but rather uses "the Cloud" to access your content. It works smoother than AirPlay because it doesn't require buffering from your device, but rather directly to the TV. The only "syncing" that occurs is the Cloud communicating to the Chromecast where you're at. For example: I'm watching a Netflix movie and I'm at 1:06:17. I hit the Square button with the wi-fi looking icon called "Cast" and it syncs it to my Chromecast. This is only different for web-browsing through the currently Beta Chrome Tab Cast, where it'll show exactly what you're looking on Chrome, onto your TV. It's less functional than straight up mirroring like the Apple TV, but it works. You can't switch between apps and have that show on the screen. This is particularly useful in web-based presentations or while you check your email and your friends are watching Netflix.

Battery Drain on Mobile Devices:
    Because of the way Chromecast works, it's streaming information from the Cloud vs. from your device. I noticed very little increase in the usage of battery on my iPhone 5 and my Macbook Air running Mountain Lion OSX.

Support for Streaming Services:
    Right now, Streaming Service support is limited. Netflix, Google Services (Google Play, YouTube) and Web-based Streaming is allowed. I had issues trying to load Hulu the past couple days, telling me that my browser was unsupported, but I'll update once I get a chance.

Power Adapter:
    The power adapter is an optional requirement. In fact, most modern TV's with HDMI 1.4 or higher spec are supported. The Chromecast can draw power from the HDMI port it's plugged into. If your TV doesn't support that, there's also a USB cable and power adapter included in the box. I have a 2012 LG LED and a 2013 Lenovo 27" Monitor with HDMI input and the ports power it with no cable.

All in all, I feel like it's still a huge work in progress. The SDK will allow for some exciting developments, and I'm happy to say that Google has committed to support this device for quite some time. It gives me piece of mind that this won't become out of date each year.

That being said, it's only $35. What a steal for a device that really brings value to any TV.

Cheers
    Last edited by smiffy71; 07-24-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: additional content

Thanks
    I was wondering the same thing as i just bought one. I hope they can get xbmc on it cause it would be awesome

Thanks
    pays for itself practically if you are a netflix subscriber!

*Once your Chromecast ships, you will recieve an email with a promotional code for 3 months of Netflix. Offer valid for previous, new and existing Netflix members, one per Netflix account. Offer expires 12/31/13.

effectively 11 bucks
    Last edited by MediaPi; 07-25-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks
    actually "new and existing Netflix members" applies to everyone. What I am interested in is this " Chrome tab projection. Per the demo, any tab open on the Chrome browser will play on the television. So, the HBO GO app might not work, but the desktop version will. Sure a computer connected by HDMI can do that, too. But this is a lot easier, smaller, and does a lot more (and again, no wires). Google has almost made available a software kit that will allow developers to add the functionality to their apps, meaning that, if the Chromecast catches on, you'll be able to beam video from any smartphone or tablet app directly to your television."

I like it for this potential, basically making it better than any settop box and turning any tv into an htpc. If this is true, you are nolonger limited to apps

Thanks

Chromecast

The TV industry is about to get interesting.

It's awesome and exciting what XBMC is capable of along with what the apps are capable of.

Thanks

Chromecast

Yeah just read about this and very intrigued!

Thanks
    If only XBMC could be a google play app, the whole thing would be seemless

Thanks
    if i buy one, can i use it to watch whatever im watching on my ipad to my tv??

Thanks

Chromecast

a32mil. I think that is the plan. Not sure many people have them yet so you may have to wait a wee while to find out. It probably won't be that straightforward, but there are some clever people on here :-)