• Login:

Welcome to the XBMC HUB FORUMS.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

UPDATE YOUR SPORTSDEVIL ADDON!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

[PREVIEW] XBMCtorrent: streaming torrents right from XBMC

The thread has moved, click here.

Hi folks,

So I've been developing this addon to stream torrents directly in XBMC.
    It uses sequential download[1] and thus ensures proper streaming.

It's only 5 days old but I thought I could give you guys a preview.

See it in action here:

It is composed of two different parts:
    • XBMC addon (written in Python)
    • Custom Bitorrent client (written Go + libtorrent-rasterbar), called torrent2http

What torrent2http does it basically transform magnet uris to http endpoints, such as: http://localhost:5000/magnet:?....
    The reason it is done in Go is because libtorrent-rasterbar is a C++ library that links against Boost. It does have bindings, which are done in Boost.Python (imagine the distribution nightmare...).
    By keeping this part separate, I can more easily tweak the addon.

For the moment it only works on Mac OS X (my dev environment). It shouldn't be too hard to port to Windows and Linux.

Of course everything is open source (though not very well packaged yet), which you can browse if you feel adventurous:

Be warned that it is still very hackish, and you might not be able to build it properly.

[1] If you are worried sequential download can hurt the BT swarm, torrent2http respects the same requirements as "defined" by uTorrent 3 (http://www.utorrent.com/help/faq/ut3#faq2)
    Last edited by steeve; 10-17-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks
    WOW simply WOW. This is amazing man. I mean everything is on torrents so in theory this addon has access to everything. How much intial loading does it do before it starts the video?

And its fast man, the interface I mean. I love the simplicity of the information you show such as seeds, downloads, as s,d. Man seriosusly kudos its an amazing app.

Its kinda like waldo, in that it will give you alot of links for a search query.

Can't wait when you port it to linux. Well done mate it looks amazing!

Edit: torrents site such as Piratebay have their own recommendation of movies and also top ten downloads and such (basically categories, similar to general addons), have you plans in the future to add theses elements and make it more than a search engine. Man this has huge potential, just stunned at the brilliance. Man please stay at XBMCHUB and oh yeah welcome.. I can see a bright future for you here...

Do you have plans to add more torrent sites? KickAssTorrent is literally the best one IMO.

Downloading can gobble up all the memory real quick can this addon be modified to give an option of only storing like the last 5 files say on a temporary basis. And then the files you really want you can maybe have another option to take out of temporary folder and into permanent folder?
    Last edited by MediaPi; 08-18-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the kind words
    Yeah I'll definitely add Kickass Torrents, probably when I come back from vacations (leaving tonight), as well as the TPB sections etc...

About the memory issue, basically torrent2http doesn't keep the file in memory, but saves it to disk (as it will allow seeking etc...). And at the moment, the file is deleted when the stream ends (or when you stop it).
    However, you do need a place to store the file, but the nice thing is torrent2http can run on one computer (like your server), and the XBMCtorrent on another (like you RPi).

I might add options to keep the downloaded files etc... But I don't want to turn it into a full fledged torrent client, as it's meant for a very precise goal. Also, I really want to make sure it plays nice with the BT ecosystem.

EDIT: As for initial loading, well it depends. It depends on how fast the peers/seeds you request the first pieces of the file are. The rule of thumb is the bigger the seeds/peers ratio and the higher the number of peers and seeds there is, the faster it is.
    From my experiments I've seen things like 30 seconds to 3 minutes.
    Last edited by steeve; 08-18-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Responded initial loading question

Thanks
    thats exactly what I wanted (not store the downloads) because I don't have lot of space (8gb). Actually that brings up another question. To download a file with x amount of data, will you need the same amount of storage to watch the file? so for 10 GB file will I be able to watch it with 8GB storage?

Is it only me thats so excited about this? its like a new medium for XBMC. Each new site you add is like another addon... , have you heard of ****Up? inside the addon (****up) you have other devs adding more content. In the future you can do a similar thing to your addon and let other Devs build a "Torrentaddon" for a different site which can sit inside your addon. this way they can help you my mainting their own section. anyway just a few thoughts for you to think about.

And I like the way you wet our appetite and then go off to vacation lol. Hope you have a great vacation.

TL'DR
    Questions
    so for 10 GB file will I be able to watch it with 8GB storage?
    Will the performance be affected on less powerful machines such as Raspberry Pi

Edit:
    So with the intial loading time your basically press the movie and wait a couple of minutes. I guess the faster the broadband speed the better. Still nowadays torrents are fast.

If you allowed the ability to store the file downloaded then you won't need a dedicated client such as transmission for openelec... so much potential happy days to come lol
    Last edited by MediaPi; 08-18-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    wow great job! can't wait until you port to windows!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolwave View Post
    wow great job! can't wait until you port to windows!
    .............x2

Thanks
    can someone help me install it on raspberry pi please

Team XBMCHUB.COM Moderator
    Thanks
    If you can't install it.. It might be better to wait for the release.

This is a great concept I use the transmission client on my pi and I always thought it would be nice if it could stream what I downloaded.
    | ..my middle name is edit ..not english | read this first | search |
    -
    CLICK TO DONATE - help me save up for the next beer.
    my help and knowledge gained from it will go directly back into our community.

Thanks
    do i get transmission and XBMCtorrent that all ?

Thanks
    i keep geting addon.py failed on my rasp pi

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast