• Login:

Welcome to the XBMC HUB FORUMS.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

UPDATE YOUR SPORTSDEVIL ADDON!

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Using TV Guide with multiple Add-ons

Updated 17th September 2013

First off, I'd like to thank whufclee for including this in his latest custom build, allowing me space on his server and the video guide.
    ********* for linking in his addons, pallisvans for the new skin plus trogggy, Thistle, VanZan, FXB78, Liam and many others for all their help and feedback on this.

What started out as my own personal setup should hopefully help you guys enjoy your XBMC experience even more when watching live TV channels.

HOW TO SET THIS UP: [UPDATED with simpler instructions]
    These instructions will show you how to use the TV Guide Program add-on with live TV streams from various Video add-ons.
    I've tested it with the following:

TVCatchup (non EPG version) v1.4.8
    ******* Streams v2.1.7
    **** Up v1.3.7
    Navi-X Plugin (Video Add-on version)
    NTV.mx v3.05
    FilmOn v4.5d
    NotFilmOn
    ***** TV v2.3
    iPlayer
    iTVPlayer

I'm also going to share my channels file if you are unable to make your own.
    It contains around 90 channels (mainly UK) and I'll be keeping it updated on a regular basis.

There's various steps to this but these are the main ones:

1. Set up your copy of XBMC to link to whufclees's server and install his new repo.
    2. Install the modified TV Guide.
    3. Create your own XMLTV file or use my shared file and tell TV Guide where it is.
    4. Link each live TV stream to a channel in TV Guide.
    5. Watch the telly!!!

Once you've linked each live stream, whenever you browse the TV Guide EPG and select a channel, it will trigger the stream.
    This means you will be able to see what's on now/next before you start watching - just like a regular EPG on a set-top box etc.

Steps 1 and 2
    This video guide will show you how to install everything and get you up and running.
    I'll put some written instructions underneath for reference but this video makes it really easy to get everything set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBAf7IyAfQI

Step 3. The XMLTV File:
    Please note if you use my file: There are around 90 channels in there and they've taken me a long time to put together.
    I never thought I'd be sharing this so it is still a work in progress.
    Please don't ask me to add a channel I'm not going to watch, because I won't. :P
    You can modify my channel list from within TV Guide if you want. Please see the video and my post later in the thread.

TV Guide needs a channel list to display the program information for each channel. I use some software called WebGrab+Plus to create my list. This is the file that contains all the EPG listings and info for the TV channels you want to watch. This file is the key to making all this work.

I highly recommend reading up on the XMLTV format and how to create your own custom list. It can be a bit complicated to set up at first, but once you've done that, everything else will work like a charm. Once you've created your file, save it somewhere that XBMC can browse to as a source-location.
    I've started a thread here to discuss grabbing xmltv data so please have a read if you want to discuss making your own custom list: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/comput...iscussion.html

If you don't want to do this, you can use my channel list. You'll be stuck with the channels I've set up for myself so if I change them you'll have to live with it.
    It contains pretty much all the UK channels (including sports and movies) plus some international channels (mainly sports).
    You can show/hide channels and also re-order them from within TV Guide so if you don't want all of my channels you can customise it that way.

Link the XMLTV file to the TV Guide

The file you pick needs to be added to TV Guide in it's settings window. TV Guide Settings => Source => XMLTV => XMLTV File

On whufclee's server go to TVGuides => *****Dean. In there will be a list of files.

The default file I create is called '*****schannels.xml' - This contains all the XMLTV data for my timezone (GMT).
    The other files are identical except that they are time-shifted to account for different timezones.

Pick the one that matches where you live and click OK

As I update it (normally twice a week) it will update at your end too. So in theory after you've added it everything will update automatically and you won't have to change the settings again.

Step 4. Linking the streams:
    You can do this 2 ways. Using Favorites or via a direct add-on link within TV Guide.

All the add-ons listed above can use the favourites method or if you have the following addons installed, TV Guide will link to them directly without the need to make a favourite of each channel.

The add-ons that can use this feature are:
    ******* Streams
    NTV.mx
    NotFilmOn
    FilmOn
    ***** TV

Using the built-in addons:
    If you have any of the addons listed above installed, most of the channels will just work automatically.
    For example: I've got ******* Streams installed on my system so if I scroll down the list and select Sky Sports 1, the ******* Streams addon will automatically start whatever program is currently being broadcast. Nice.
    This is why I'm still working on my channel list - the name has to match what is in the addon's list.

If a channel does not start, a window will pop out from the side asking you to choose a stream. Select this and then navigate to 'Use an Addon link'.
    Browse downwards and you will see some large left/right arrows which will let you pick which add-on you want to link to.
    Once you pick the add-on, all the relevant channels will appear in a list below it. Scroll down to the right one (a white dot indicates which channel you are selecting) and link the channel . Then select Save.
    Do this for each channel and it's job done!!!

Another nice touch with the addon method is if you have more than one add-on that streams the same channel, TV Guide will give you a choice of which one to use.

This makes it so much easier but clearly will only work with *****'s add-ons.

Using Favorites to add channels:
    Basically, you just open the add-ons you use from the list at the top. Browse to each live channel that you want to watch. Press c or 'right-click' to get the context menu up and select 'Add to Favorites'.

You then need to link these favourites to each channel inside TV Guide.
    If you select a channel for the first time TVGuide will ask you to link a stream to it. There are 3 options for this bit. 1. Link a .strm file. 2. Link to a Favorite. 3. Use an Addon link.

So here, you would select Link to a Favorite and your list should appear below. Scroll down to the right one (a white dot indicates which favorite you are selecting) and link the channel to your corresponding favorite then select Save.
    Do this for each channel and that's it. Once you've linked the favorites, you can delete them. TV Guide will remember the link.

Step 5. Go watch some telly

I hope that wasn't too long winded and I'll try to answer any questions or edit my instructions as and when.

Enjoy

Cheers

Rich
    Last edited by DixieDean; 09-17-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Updated the guide

Thanks
    HI Rich,

Where can I get the TVCatchup (non EPG version) v1.4.8 please?

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    You can get the repo from this page. Once you've installed that, there are 2 versions of the addon available. One with the EPG and one without.

http://plugins.tvcatchup.com/~xbmc/

HTH

Rich

Banned
    Thanks
    the password is: *****123

Banned
    Thanks
    At that point you select 'Choose Stream'.

Then you either link the channel to the stream by using Favorites (If you've made one) or by using the built in addons if you installed the custom addons.ini file that I shared in my OP.

You only have to do this bit once for each channel.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks

Using TV Guide with multiple Add-ons

I specifically left out mentioning the password to make sure people came to the hub to get it . Vid was made in a bit of a rush i will amend the description directing anyone wanting to use that method to here

Banned
    Thanks
    Top Tip:

If want to change the order of channels or show/hide them you can do this in the context menu of TV Guide.

Browse to any channel and then press the 'c' key to bring up the context menu and select channels (highlighted in red in my screenshot).

Then using the up/down/left/right keys you can move channels around. Or if you hit enter while on a channel name it will show/hide it. The eye icon has a cross in it when a channel is hidden.

Then select save when you are done.

Thanks
    brilliant tutorial mate. Is there anyway you could do one for Notfilmon (Filmon minus georestriction) ? Thanks again

Banned
    Thanks
    Just tried it with NotFilmOn mate and it works a treat. You will need to add the channels you want to your favorites. Then put them into TV Guide that way.

You can always delete the favorites after you've added them. TV Guide will remember the link.

Nice one.

Thanks
    I keep trying it and trying it, its giving me a cannot connect to server error..I have tv guide running, I wanted to use *****'s since I am not sure about making one yet..What do I need installed etc?Thank you btw for all current help

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast