• Login:

Welcome to the XBMC HUB FORUMS.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

UPDATE YOUR SPORTSDEVIL ADDON!

Thanks

Mount external hard drive writable

Hey!

I have my external hard drive, with all my movies and shows on connected directly into my Raspberry Pi (or actually to a usb hub, which is connected to the Pi)

I thought that, when i needed to add new files onto it, ill just transfer them onto it, from my other computer. But when i try to do that, it says that the disk is not writable, i guess it is because it is mounted as readable only, how can i change this, so it always mounts as writable?

Thanks!

Team XBMCHUB.COM Moderator
    Thanks
    It is mounted as rw ?! I have a 3TB formatted as NTFS connected without problems.
    What format is your HD? Is it your computer that can not write to the drive all of a sudden? Are there any movies on there? Did it just stop working?

You should also be able to reach the HD while openELEC is running.
    On your computer press leftwindowskey + r to bring up the run box, type \\ipaddressofrpi in the field and press ok.

A list of folders on the running RPi should appear. Try navigate to the media folder and your harddrive should be found inside. Try copy a file to it?
    | ..my middle name is edit ..not english | read this first | search |
    -
    CLICK TO DONATE - help me save up for the next beer.
    my help and knowledge gained from it will go directly back into our community.

Thanks
    I have a 500 gig connected to it, it is formatted as NTFS, and i just connected it, so i would't know if it just suddenly stopped working. There is about 250 gigs of movies og 150 gigs of tvshows on it, and they play well, no problems there.

I am able to reach the HD using ssh, I'm on a mac, but when i try to copy files using the scp command in console, i get:
    Code:
    scp: /var/media/Ekstern/test.rtf: Read-only file system

Thanks
    Hmm that's very odd.. Some Mac file rights might have been set.
    Try create a new local file through ssh with nano /media/Ekstern/test.txt and see if you can save it with CTRL+o?

Or what if you mount the drive \\openelec\media or a on the Mac.
    As far as I remember you locate "connect to server" in the top menu then type \\openelec\media or \\ipaddressofrpi\media in the field and press ok. (Remember the \\'s) Can you then copy a file to "Ekstern" this way? If you can I think we are on the right track.
    Last edited by tuxen; 12-15-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    -

Thanks
    Here another one from ssh try type ls -l /media/Ekstern/
    Who does the files belong to? And how does the file rights look (the first 10 weird digits)?
    -

Thanks
    I cannot save, it still says read-only

Thanks
    Rabbit just a thought.
    Are you running your openelec through berryboot ?

Thanks
    Nope, followed tuxen's guide in this forum on how to install openelec on a usbstick

Thanks
    Hi Rabbit im no expert at this kind of stuff but I have tried tuxens guide and installed on one of my pi's and I am able to write to my external HD.

The reason i asked if berryboot was installed is that I had a problem in the past with berryboot not allowing me to write/edit any files mounted onto my external hdd without editing the cmdline.txt

can you write/edit files to you external hdd locally through the xbmc file manager, or is it just when trying to copy files from your mac to your hard drive when using ssh ?