• Login:

Welcome to the XBMC HUB FORUMS.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

UPDATE YOUR SPORTSDEVIL ADDON!

Thanks

Super Speed Setting in Raspbmc

Does anyone know if increasing the speed setting from the default of "Fast" to "Super" voids the warranty on the Pi?
    I noticed that as well as overclocking it also overvolts when the Super setting is enabled? It does seem a fair bit snappier however!

Thanks
    My understanding is increasing the voltage voids the warranty. Personally I don't care, at $35.00 I can buy anohter unit, and this is testing after all.
    Last edited by BogMan; 10-06-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    There is a thin line between "hobby" and mental illness

Raspberry Pi
    Frodo 12.2
    Xbian

Thanks
    Taken from the raspberrypi front page
    "We’ve been doing a lot of work to understand the impact of voltage and temperature on lifetime, and are now able to offer a “turbo mode”, which dynamically enables overclock and overvolt under the control of a cpufreq driver, without affecting your warranty. We are happy that the combination of only applying turbo when busy, and limiting turbo when the BCM2835′s internal temperature reaches 85C, means there will be no measurable reduction in the lifetime of your Raspberry Pi."

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2008

Banned
    Thanks
    Right.. From Raspbmc..

"Fast is the recommended setting and will not cause corruption!

You can choose Advanced Settings if you wish to specify a custom clock — beware that you may void your warranty if you overvolt."

Team XBMCHUB.COM Moderator
    Thanks
    No warrenty is vold if you use the new kernel cpufreq will automatically keep the temp below 85c if it gets higher it will reboot so you can lower the settings. Thereby not shortening the life or warranty.
    If you use force_turbo=1 it will disable cpufreq and you can still overclock as much as you like without losing warranty as long as you do not over_volt.

To be more specific:
    http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

WARNING: Setting any of the parameters which overvolt your Raspberry Pi can set a permanent bit within the SOC and your warranty is void. Warranty will be voided when you use force_turbo or current_limit_override or temp_limit>85 together with over_voltage>0.[2] So If you care about the warranty, do not adjust voltage.
    The latest kernel has a cpufreq kernel driver with the "ondemand" governor enabled by default. It has no effect if you have no overclock settings. But when you do, the arm frequency will vary with processor load. Non default values are only used when needed according to the used governor. You can adjust the minimum values with the *_min config options or disable dynamic clocking with force_turbo=1. [3]
    Overclock and overvoltage will be disabled at runtime when the SoC reaches 85C to cool it down . You should not hit the limit, even with maximum settings at 25C ambient temperature. [4]
    Last edited by tuxen; 10-13-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    | ..my middle name is edit ..not english | read this first | search |
    -
    CLICK TO DONATE - help me save up for the next beer.
    my help and knowledge gained from it will go directly back into our community.

Banned
    Thanks
    Hi tuxen, looong time no see, i have started to code an addon lol, Yeah Tuxens right if you use the new kernel it will look after itself

Team XBMCHUB.COM Moderator
    Thanks
    Heys, yeah I've been sick ): I'm all well again now. How about you?
    Btw. Glad to hear about you starting to code addons. What will the first one do? (:
    Last edited by tuxen; 10-13-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    | ..my middle name is edit ..not english | read this first | search |
    -
    CLICK TO DONATE - help me save up for the next beer.
    my help and knowledge gained from it will go directly back into our community.