• Login:

Welcome to the XBMC HUB FORUMS.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

UPDATE YOUR SPORTSDEVIL ADDON!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Raspberry Pi or $60 Android box/stick?

Dont shoot! Ima noob!
    I have been waiting for the atv3 jailbreak since last sep and I'm giving up. Should I buy a raspberry pi or an android box? Seems like after all the stuff I have to buy for the pi I could purchase a fairly loaded android box with three times the power. I'd most likely run Linux on it but wouldn't mind messing around with android first, I don't own any android devices yet. Which one should I get? Wish list is an ir remote, gotta handle full 1080p over n band from my nas in android(are any of them 5ghz or dual band?), would be nice if it had mic in or a built in mic with camera, bluetooth would also be nice. Any suggestions for an android box that fits that criteria in the $60 range? Seems like 5 new ones come out every week.

Banned
    Thanks
    I haven't used a PI but I've read good things about it and am considering getting one even though I don't need it!!
    My experience with an Android device was a really bad one. I got some G-Box Dyno sticks and they're useless even though the specs are good. My advice is:
    Reviews on here are your friend, Reviews on YouTube or vendor websites are your enemy.... Mortal enemy, those reviews want to kill you and your family type enemy!!!

Thanks
    Without a doubt a Raspberry, the thing is just amazing
    Effortless to get up and running, you will be watching TV in about 10 minutes of getting it

Thanks
    If your TV is CEC compatible (most new ones are) and you have a wired connection then you should be up and running in no time.
    It gets a little more complicated with wifi dongles and 3rd party remotes, but everything has a solution.
    IF you are a total noob, i would suggest starting off with a raspbmc setup, its gotten a lot faster, and supports many dongles and remotes, including the apple tv remote (you still need an IR reciever).
    Avoid android based players for now.

Thanks
    I have had both a pi and an android box. whilst the pi works fine and was a fun short project, for everyday home use get an android and put linux on it
    If I've helped you please click the Like button

Thanks
    That's the thing my no-name LCD is not cec compatible. So I'd have to rig up the ir diode. Something I can handle but def a big pain. I have a great wifi dongle just waiting for the pi that works out of the box cause its Broadcom based; the Nintendo USB wifi connector, remember that thing? Not n band but I have my entire house wired with cat5e jacks anyway.

I'm definetly leaning towards an android box but I'm worried that ill buy the "wrong" one because there are so many to choose from and the best deals seem to be from sketchy Chinese online shops. That's why I was looking for suggestions. Also do any android boxes do hardware Dolby decode?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoluv View Post
    I have a great wifi dongle just waiting for the pi that works out of the box cause its Broadcom based; the Nintendo USB wifi connector, remember that thing? Not n band but I have my entire house wired with cat5e jacks anyway.
    So why use wifi?

Thanks
    Cleaner look. I hate wires. Cat5e jack might not be where I set the tv, don't wanna have to run more cat 5e.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoluv View Post
    Cleaner look. I hate wires. Cat5e jack might not be where I set the tv, don't wanna have to run more cat 5e.
    then get the pivos xios but put linux on it instead of android.
    android and xbmc are not working well at the moment! so only get an android box if you can install linux on it instead.
    you can also use your smartphone as a remote for Rpi until you get your IR diode.

Banned
    Thanks
    I have to agree with what everyone has said...

raspberry pi: So long as you install on a USB 3.0 stick it runs great but if you need a remote AND wireless you'll need to either wire an IR receiver to the GPIO pins, use a USB hub or power directly via the GPIO pins. A little bit of hassle, however if you use a wired connection (always my preferred choice) then you have no problem.

Android: There's a new android tv dongle coming out which I'm very hopeful of, it's very reasonably priced and the specs are good so as soon as it's in stock and I have one to play around with I'll give a proper review. As previously stated XBMC running on Android is still pretty buggy but give it time and I'm sure it will be as great as all the other platforms. If you do go for an Android device make sure you can install linux on it unless you want an annoying buggy XBMC experience for the next few months!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast