• Login:

Welcome to the XBMC HUB FORUMS.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

UPDATE YOUR SPORTSDEVIL ADDON!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

UK ISP's begin blocking movie streaming sites

Full story:-
    http://torrentfreak.com/uk-isps-bloc...blocks-130520/

"Internet service providers in the UK have today begun blocking one of the world’s largest streaming movie portals. In a follow up to similar actions, the MPAA obtained a High Court order which compels all major ISPs to begin blocking Movie2K, a massive site with millions of visitors each month."................

I wonder how long it will be before some of the more popular sites the addons here scrape will become targets?
    Windows 8:
    Any OS that requires doing a google search to figure out how to shut it down is an OS that needs rethinking.

Team XBMC HUB Developer
    Thanks
    I was just about to post this... I reckon it will spread to 1channel etc. before too long.

I suppose it shows the need for addon coders to always make the site base url (ie. 'http://www.movie2k.to/') definable in addon Settings, so that users can manually set a proxy, or select from a list. Looking at the movie2kproxy.com, it looks like it slightly changes the html layout of a page which might break the scrapers.... guess maybe the best way to approach it is through cleaning the html layout to look like the original page, rather than adjusting each individual scraping regex.

Also I wonder also if XBMC addons might hurt the bandwidth of the proxies, some of them are pretty slow - it might require a snippet of code that randomly chooses a proxy from a list, on addon start up.
    Last edited by anarchintosh; 05-23-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Oh Dammit, thats so not good, looks like its going to have to be some sort of vpn module coded

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jas0npc View Post
    Oh Dammit, thats so not good, looks like its going to have to be some sort of vpn module coded
    Maybe the time is coming where a VPN thread/section might be useful where people can post their experiences, prices, speeds etc of the VPN's they use to help others decide their best options?
    Windows 8:
    Any OS that requires doing a google search to figure out how to shut it down is an OS that needs rethinking.

Banned
    Thanks
    I agree perhaps this is something that you should post in the forum requests part of the forum

Thanks
    Seriously is anyone surprised? I'm surprised high qulity video streaming sites haven't been attacked already. I myself have only learnt about XBMC in the last couple of months and my first thought was, this going to take over torrents! especially once it becomes mainstream with the younger generation..University students. It will proliferate like hell Just like Facebook did.

Already theres an explosion of users coming to XBMC with the introduction of the Raspberry Pi(me being one), and the upcoming Ouya. As evident of navi X (the longest standing and arguably the most popular addon to XBMC). The thing crawls to a stand still almost at peak times (as of late it has become usable and bearable). what about those little android sticks that are the size of large flash drives that can stick in the back of TV's with no additional power requirement, CEC control (no need for another dedicated remote) and guts that spurt 1080p as it was SD. These sticks can be brought for £50 everything included or as low as £35.

How about the introduction of 4G technology and lower prices for unlimited super fast fiber optic broadband with cloud computing. What about the fact that smartphone caermas today are atleast 1080p and slowly will start to max 4k. Its the pixel wars that is already going on. Already tablets can dish out 1080p on a beautiful screen. So do mobile phones...

So basically we are going to have cheap, fast no buffering, beautiful (aeon skin max settings) ondemand 4k cinema experience at a push of a button . With more security than torrents. I mean this could be the revolution of television. Who actually watches TV if you have XBMC? Streaming is the future. You won't need to physically store anything. Cheap Also your hearing more and more about someone being fines £10,000 for each song downloaded. They can't charge you if you have no physicaly object or it will be harder especially if everyone moves over from torrents to streaming..

I believe one of the main catalyst is when XBMC is ready for Android (alredy past 75% of total sales of mobile devices) then the floodgates will open my friends. XBMC woudn't know what hit them.

So content providers, publishers. Cinema industry are shaking in thier boots and want to stamp out this uprising before it begins. I honestly thought it can't be stamped out like Pirate bay for example. It only takes 2 minutes and a simple "bypass virgin media pirate bay" search on google to get your answer. But one stumbling block gets in the way of me thinking that. DEMAND5 how can no one has found a way to get past their encryption? If demand5 can do it then why not everyone else? I think this model of streaming everything and anything at anytime has to be met with the movie industry if its to coexist in harmony with its users. Otherwise theres going to be a bloody war!!
    Last edited by MediaPi; 05-23-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Team XBMC HUB Developer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stammie View Post
    Maybe the time is coming where a VPN thread/section might be useful where people can post their experiences, prices, speeds etc of the VPN's they use to help others decide their best options?
    That would probably be a useful thread to have around anyway as a reference (although VPN affiliate programs might affect people's recommendations), but I think the actual source sites (ie. gorrilavid etc.) will remain unblocked for the foreseeable future. There is as of yet no legal precedent in UK law to order ISPs to block video sites / file lockers (nor bittorrent trackers), only the indexers (and torrent indexers). So i think UK people will be able to operate through free proxies to access the indexers, and still be able to stream the video directly.
    Last edited by anarchintosh; 05-23-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks
    @MediaPi, I think you are overestimating the popularity of XBMC,
    as much as all of us here love it its still in the hobbyist category as far as the size of the user base is concerned.
    I doubt very much if the media industry would go to the cost and lengths they do to shut down access to these sites purely from the XBMC use of them,
    for every XBMC hit on the more popular streaming sites there are thousands more hits coming from peoples normal browsers or phones or tablets.
    For example I offered to get some Disney shows for my 10 year old niece and she declined because she could watch them on 1chan on her non XBMC laptop, she is not a geeky kid and can hardly work a computer but knows enough to fire up a browser and find what she wants.
    Its this easy access for the mass market that has the content mafia so worried not the relative small fry that us here are.
    Windows 8:

Thanks
    Frankly why would someone pay for VPN? Woudn't they rather pay for something like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, New Tesco thing..... Maybe less content but I'm sure they will start increasing their content and like I said this is the new model for the future. It will only diversify and the quality will be more consistentantly high. How much is a VPN? Netflix is just £6 a month I think, where you can have it onn 3 devices simultaneously.

Thanks
    Stammie personally I only watched content on my laptop by downloading torrents. Much better quality. I can see where your coming from but for me the reason why I think Xbmc is a bigger threat than streamings movies on laptop is pure comfort and 50 inch screen with all the indexing done and no need to worry about viruses. Or if you do get a virus you are not going to check your bank balance on your raspberry pi.. I can go on and on. My overestimation is focused on the future and the potential of XBMC. I wish there were statistics of how much more people have come to XBMC becuase of Raspberry Pi. I would bet money on XBMC becoming house hold name!!

Edit Stammie that is what I am trying to say that once the mainstream understand that by spending £40 on raspberry pi you get all the movie content you would ever want need then it migrates from hobbiyist to mainstream and the momentum it will build will be monsterous! I know friends of mine begging me to set them up a raspberry pi with XBMC. Isn't that the main goal of XBMC to become a household name? The Raspberry Pi/Ouya is the first step of the movement!
    Last edited by MediaPi; 05-23-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast