• Login:

Welcome to the XBMC HUB FORUMS.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

UPDATE YOUR SPORTSDEVIL ADDON!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Apple TV crystal Ubuntu or openelec

Have just purchased a Broadcom bcm970015 card , I want to install either crystal Ubuntu or openelec on to my first gen Apple TV , never installed either of these before , have used atv flash and have made the basic patch stick to install xbmc before ,

So I am after a bit of advice and guidance , which build is the best ? , any hints and tips to get a safe clean install are most welcome ,

I have read up on the subject to a certain degree ,

http://www.crystalbuntu.com/

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?ti...LEC_on_AppleTV

Do I need to install drivers for the crystal hd card ?
    Does anybody have a step by step guide to installing the card that they can share ,

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all
    Last edited by Krankie882; 05-31-2013 at 05:34 PM.

ATV Tech Support
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krankie882 View Post
    Have just purchased a Broadcom bcm970015 card , I want to install either crystal Ubuntu or openelec on to my first gen Apple TV , never installed either of these before , have used atv flash and have made the basic patch stick to install xbmc before ,

So I am after a bit of advice and guidance , which build is the best ? , any hints and tips to get a safe clean install are most welcome ,

I have read up on the subject to a certain degree ,

http://www.crystalbuntu.com/

Do I need to install drivers for the crystal hd card ?
    Does anybody have a step by step guide to installing the card that they can share ,

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all
    My friend Cyrstal buntu is the best if you need help installing, pm me and btw the way you got the best chip
    XML Sharing Window Is Closed, Don't PM ME

XML Of Arabic, Paki, or Tamil/Tenglu Support Visit http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/live-v...tml#post145833

School has started This Means Lots Of Homework

If you would like to donate to me you can through paypal: S_nasrah@hotmail.com DON'T SEND EMAILS TO THIS ADDRESS

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader88 View Post
    My friend Cyrstal buntu is the best if you need help installing, pm me and btw the way you got the best chip
    Thanks for your offer of help ,I may well take you up on the offer still not sure if to go for crystal buntu or openelec , would like to see a few more people's opinions before I take the plunge , did a bit of research on the cards and made sure I got the better one so its a good start so far , have also ordered the 8 and 10 torx screwdrivers ready to open up the atv , card and screwdrivers will be with me in about 4 days
    Last edited by Krankie882; 05-31-2013 at 05:43 PM.

ATV Tech Support
    Thanks
    Thanks for your offer of help ,I may well take you up on the offer still not sure if to go for crystal buntu or openelec , would like to see a few more people's opinions before I take the plunge , did a bit of research on the cards and made sure I got the better one so its a good start so far , have also ordered the 8 and 10 torx screwdrivers ready to open up the atv , card and screwdrivers will be with me in about 4 days
    Good you will need those. If you would like cyrtsalbuntu and have your mind about it pm me and i will help when you get your items

XML Of Arabic, Paki, or Tamil/Tenglu Support Visit http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/live-v...tml#post145833

If you would like to donate to me you can through paypal: S_nasrah@hotmail.com DON'T SEND EMAILS TO THIS ADDRESS

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader88 View Post
    Good you will need those. If you would like cyrtsalbuntu and have your mind about it pm me and i will help when you get your items
    Many thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    Anybody else have any views on openelec or crystal buntu I would love to hear them

Thanks
    Ive been using crystalbuntu sense 1.0 upgraded to 2.0 then decided to try openelec, I couldnt leave good enough alone to be honest, I just wanted to see the difference and after using openelec I think I am going to go back to crystalbuntu, it just seems quicker and in my opinion the crystalbuntu community is better if you have questions. Plus if memory serves the actual meat of crystalbuntu is a specialized distro of linux so in theory you could install other things on the box as well.

The openelec install was kind of a pain in the ass as there are only linux and mac installers so I had to set up a virtual machine to pull it off. With crystalbuntu there is a windows installer literally all you have to do is pull that down, unzip, run it and point it to your usb drive and it will pull down what you need for the install on the stick, bear in mind that your going to need at least a 2gb stick for the install and your atv will need internet connectivity to complete the install. Once the installer has "done its thing" eject the stick and remove power from the atv1 insert the stick return power and the installer will take off you will probably find the guide on crystalbuntu.com more to the point than my long winded answer but I figured I would get my two cents in on the ease of the crystalbuntu install and overall quality of the product.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input , looks like crystal buntu is the way to go

ATV Tech Support
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input , looks like crystal buntu is the way to go
    You got that right lol

Thanks
    I have crystalbuntu and liking it had it since 1.0 and like Liquidmercury said the install from usb is a sinch. Compared to openlec which is a pain and no windows installer as far as i know, i think there is a way without a mac or linux with swiss army knife but theres a whole lot of messing to get done and its beyond me. crystalbuntu2 was so easy to install from usb.
    The only downside of the new version of crystalbuntu is that wifi doesnt work its a known issue. whereas Openlec is wifi ready to go. There is a roundabout fix to get wifi working on cyrsytalbuntu but again its beyond me!. I run it wired anyway but id love it to work by wifi also.
    So ive never had openlec but a couple of people i know who have the ATV1 running on it say Openlec is brilliant and a no brainer. I think Umouch subscribes to Openlec over Crystalbuntu so theres no doubt if you can get over the awkward install side of things there is a lot to be said for Openlec. The drivers for the broadcom card self install as they are already in the frame work and will detect the crystal broadcom card and self install you will see a confirmation on the bottom right of the screen when you boot it for the first time with the broadcom installed on crystalbuntu.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast