Board index   FAQ   Search  
  Login

PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW FORUMS FOR FUTURE POSTING. THIS FORUM REMAINS ONLINE FOR ARCHIVE PURPOSES ONLY.

Board index VIDEO ADD-ONS IceFilms

Advancedsettings.xml - unlimited cache size for buffer

Icefilms instantly turns your XBMC into a free on-demand media-center.
Stream and download to your library pure .avi scene releases, in DVD and HD720p quality
Browse and search the library of over 77,000 videos

Re: Advancedsettings.xml - unlimited cache size for buffer

Postby Bstrdsmkr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:58 pm

lmackreath wrote:but doesnt the inclusion of the advance xml allow you to get round the buffering in a round about way by allowing you to pause the feed...let it download and then restart the feed?

That's what I meant by the last part of my post. You can pause and let it buffer before watching, but the amount of time it needs to buffer is going to be the same, just broken up over the course of playback, or all at the beginning.

The other major problem aside from running out of RAM, is if you fill up your buffer, XBMC stops pulling information from the server until there's more room in the buffer. Some sites won't let you resume a download like this (this is a common way to encourage people to get premium accounts). That means that once your buffer fills up, it breaks the connection and the website doesn't let it start again so when you play through your buffer xbmc thinks that's all there was to the file and goes back to the menu just like playback had finished normally.

In the end, no one can give you a magic number because it's going to depend on how much RAM you have available at any given time. Your available RAM is influenced by everything you do: What skin you use, what you have running in the background, what addons you have installed, what kind of media you're playing, the encoding of the media you're playing, etc. Since the atv doesn't have much ram to spare to begin with (256mb), I recommend letting sleeping dogs lie and let xbmc handle the buffer. If you're on a full desktop with plenty of RAM, then you can take advantage of that by upping the limit.

Let's say for example you're able to dedicate the full 256 mb of RAM to the buffer (which is impossible, but makes the point). XBMC uses 3 times the RAM for buffering, so you could buffer a maximum of 85mb of a file. Lets say also for example that you have a 10mb internet connection and that you're able to get full speed all the time (also not going to happen). The buffer would fill up in 68 seconds. Is it really worth all that math and tweaking and crashing to possibly save yourself 68 seconds?
Bstrdsmkr
XBMC HUB TEAM

Postby Cypress2007 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks Eldorado, my bad with the wrong log. Guess it's time to rejoin RS.

Here's the right log - http://pastebin.com/hAbvdf7w
Cypress2007

Postby Bstrdsmkr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:04 pm

twd wrote:What CAN be done when there is buffering when streamning HD-material?

The ONLY way to reduce the amount of time it takes for a file to buffer and play back continuously is to increase the speed at which you receive the file from the server. Unfortunately, your home internet connection (the only thing you can reasonably influence) usually isn't the bottleneck. Some sites will remove artificial limitations they place on your streaming if you pay them a monthly fee (also known as a premium account). This is currently the most reliable way to reduce buffering times
Bstrdsmkr
XBMC HUB TEAM

Postby twd » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:37 am

Thanks Bstrdsmkr.

It's not my connection (20 MB) and everything works great after purchasing a RD account, derfinetly worth it. However I see on the icefilms message board that they are looking for a new filehost. Seriously hope whatever they end up with is supported by the RD account as I allready have one :)
twd

Postby Bstrdsmkr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 am

twd wrote:Thanks Bstrdsmkr.

It's not my connection (20 MB) and everything works great after purchasing a RD account, derfinetly worth it. However I see on the icefilms message board that they are looking for a new filehost. Seriously hope whatever they end up with is supported by the RD account as I allready have one :)

There is a thread here somewhere (and obviously on icefilms.info) about the 3 they're most likely going to choose from
Bstrdsmkr
XBMC HUB TEAM

Postby twd » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:18 am

Ok thanks, I'll search for it.
twd

Postby Deafty » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:05 am

Sorry to jump in here.

So we are saying XBMC buffers to Ram module. Ok so can this be changed in XBMC to disk?

And if so, here's what I want to do:
Use a RamDisk Set to X# GB Then set XBMC buffer to the same value.

By Using Ram disk (Old school method of creating a HDD on my memory modules) all data will be instantly and completely removed upon shutdown.

Thanks
Deafty

Previous

Return to IceFilms